


Well, today is Friday, September 26 and it has been a cloudy cool day. I took these pictures yesterday on one of our sunny days in Ketchikan. We have had sunny nice days since last Saturday. In the pictures you will see the many many salmon who have come back to their birth place to lay their eggs and die. Seems like a very sad life to me. Their average life span is 5 to 7 years. These pictures were taken downtown Ketchikan where the cruise ships dock. As you will see in the pictures there are shops and restaurants all around this area. The smell of dying fish is just terrible now, but they say it will only last a few more weeks. I have joined a yoga class in one of the buildings upstairs from the water so when we exercise and the windows are open the smell is just sickening. Yes, I did say joined a yoga class. Believe it or not I'm trying to get in better shape. I was invited by Kathy(lady I met on the ferry)and didn't have anything else to do so I paid for 10 classes to see how things go. Because of my hand surgeries I can't do some of the moves but I will give it a try. Yesterday I had to go and fill out an application at the sanitation department so we could get trash pick up where we live. They will only allow a 32 gallon can with two handles and a lid so I spent the afternoon looking for two trash cans that meet their requirements. Today was trash pickup and I laughed at Carey because he rolled the cans back to the house thinking the trash had been picked up but the cans were still full, so back to the street he went.
Carey is off this weekend and we are going into the forest to look for a small tree to plant in a pot on the deck. I want a small spruce, it looks just like a Christmas tree and they are everywhere.
Hope you enjoy the pictures and the salmon story. Will send more pictures later, maybe we will see a bear this weekend before they hibernate.
love vicki


No comments:
Post a Comment